Friday, April 15, 2011

The Woodstock That Never Was

     Here are some interesting facts about the Woodstock Festival in Aug. 1969, which may surprise you.

     For about 25 years, I lived in the town of Wallkill NY.  Maybe 60 miles or so from Manhattan, up Rt. 17 West.   What I did not  Know, is that the place where I worked for 25 years, stood on the site where the Original Woodstock was contracted to take place, there in Aug. of  1969.   

     The meetings had taken place, the acts were booked, and preliminary contracts were signed. Right in The Town Of Wallkill.    As A matter of fact, The street those contracts were signed is named "Woodstock Lane".

     I always wondered why it was called that, but never really looked into it till lately.  Sure enough, that is why it's called that.    Even know the place where the contracts were signed too.   Right on that road. The place is still there.  A piece of history, that never was, and yet is.  I guess it was just overlooked, then forgotten along the way, in the wake of the Actual Woodstock which took place about 20 miles or so, up Rt.17 in the Town of Bethel. 

     The building stands there in silence, Holding whatever secrets it knows inside it's walls, as the traffic flows past, unaware.    An ironic anti-icon if you will, testifying to something that should have happened but did not. At least not there.  But to me, it is part of the phenomenon called "The Woodstock Nation", that existed for those few days in Late Summer 1969, And I thought it should be remembered as such, so I brought it up today.     I think to myself   "I wonder how many people actually know this, outside of maybe a few who still live around there".   (by the way, the area is now homes and An Industrial park, a nice area.

     Another thing about that road is that, My Niece lived Right there on Woodstock Lane for Years, And was probably not even aware of the significance of the Name.   Right there, maybe a hundred or so feet away from the actual building.      I don't know if she is aware of it till this day.  Gonna have to ask her.

     I thought you may find that interesting, as it was Just the opposite of the description on the title here.
 This house was extraordinary history, that stayed ordinary, for whatever reason there was.

     The original festival that was planned to be there, was denied, due to concerns over sanitation. A sound Business decision on the part of the town at the time I'm certain. Still would be today actually, nobody's fault that it was not held there, just fate. however...

     This is the site where the Concert WANTED to be held, but couldn't, And in the spirit of the whole Generation of the 60's and early 70's, There SHOULD be some kind of recognition for that. If only a footnote.   But I have never seen anything, and no one talks about it either, It's just forgotten, and that's a sad thing, cause it is the world's loss I guess.    Coming up next, Acts that were asked to play there but did not. I think you will find it interesting.
Peace
G

No comments: