Monday, February 7, 2011

SOME DREAMS CAN'T COMPARE TO THE REAL THING

     My band did a show one time at the Bitter End in Greenwich village in New York, a year after the attacks in 2001. I had the privilege of being able to dedicate one of our new songs to FDNY, and NYPD, who responded that day.   A friend of mine's husband was injured there as well.
Well, I sometimes get a little emotional about that, and I knew I had to do it, so all day I prepared myself for it.
As it turned out, we were running late. We got to Bleeker St maybe 10 minutes before the show, and ran inside.

     The place was packed with people. Just wall to wall.  Made our way past all that, and ran into the dressing room and got ready. Of course everybody had to stop and sign the wall, as is the tradition. I found a spot and wrote my name there. The only spot I could really find, was on the ceiling in the middle. Let me tell you, There was every name you could imagine there. I managed to get it right between a world famous singer from New York,  and A Female lead singer from the 60s and 70s.   (sorry can't mention their names here),   I could not believe how many  Famous people had been there over the years. Every name, Every singer, every comedian. There were what seemed like, thousands. Only had a minute or two to actually do it, but I remember it to this day.  That is quite a room. If you ever get to the Bitter End, you should check it out.

     Anyway, we tuned up for about 30 seconds, and ran onstage.  The stage lights were really bright, so I could only see the first row of tables, but I could  hear the rest.
Now the band is announced. everybody yells and claps, most  had never heard us before, so It was pretty much all good I guess.
I was OK with that, Not nervous. Not really at all. Until It's my turn to actually speak.  So the boss announces I will do a dedication. Still OK.   A lot of people there did know us and were cheering. and the show was being taped.  So it took a few seconds for that to sink in, and I'm thinking now, "open your mouth, and try not to say,   ahh homina homina I'm the chef of the Future!" You know like Ralph Kramden did? I guess I had about a fifty fifty chance of actually saying that. I was pretty nervous.

     Now my sister had told me something  about putting up a wall between you and everybody else there. The Idea is to look and speak, be friendly,  personal, make some eye contact, Just don't let emotions seep out if you can. Pretty much a rule of thumb. I don't really get stage fright, but this was different. This needed to be professional.  So I took a deep breath,  opened my mouth, and heard a voice from the audience, in a speaking tone, not yelling, but I heard it all the same.  I'm not gonna say who it was, but I knew the voice.
The voice said "This is one of  the high points of his life!"  You can actually hear that on one of the Videos that   were made that night. Not on the Studio video one though.

     Anyway,  I heard it, and I realized it was true, So I just said what I had to say. I managed to get through it OK I guess.     I Used to work in the 78th floor of  the WTC, running stock reports to People a while back, so I needed to do this correctly.  The song was  "Nighttime Skies"  an original from the Band. (the track is on the link here for listening to our band in case you're interested.)   The Boss was kind enough to let me introduce that song, which is my Favorite.  (I will be forever grateful Jack,Thank you).   I get to play the bass and some slide stuff on this song, on the CD but only Bass that night.  I worked out Bass runs for months.  Well it all went OK.  I didn't stutter (too much),   and we finished the set.   45 Minutes later, outside the front door, We are told that some of the songs could actually be hits.  One could actually be number one.  That was possibly the greatest compliment in my entire life. If you happen to be reading this, I'm not going to mention your name either, cause I would not do that without telling you. You know who you are,  so Thank You!  ( I don't remember the song he said though).

     It was a good night. We did OK.  After the show, we hung out a little. Got a lot of compliments from people.
But the thing I remember the most was Walking down Bleeker Street  with another Musician I knew, carrying my bass. The streets were packed with people.  People in Cafes and in tables on the sidewalk, Or sightseeing or waiting in line for shows and other stuff.  Watching us walk past.  I remember the feeling of walking down that Street,  and  My feet felt like they were off the ground, and I was just floating.  Indescribable feeling I will never forget it.   That was in 2002 and a long time ago now, and a lot of shows later.  But It really was one of the high points of my life.  I watched one of the videos not long ago, and I can distinctly hear that voice speaking that night, about the High Point, and It was exactly that too.

     It seems like a dream.  But it wasn't.  It actually happened.   A great night. I am so thankful for the chance to have done that.
 
     As good as that night was, I have tried to copy it in dreams for a while. Couple of times now. I always seem to wake up when the Lights come up on stage in the dream versions.   I guess maybe some experiences are better left as they are.  This is one of them.   

     Man, I just realized I was off the subject and going on again. sorry bout' that.  Just felt like writing tonight. I'll get back to my posts in a few hrs.

G

No comments: